- At least 18 years old
- Citizen of the United States
- Resident of Sierra County for one year
- In possession of natural faculties, of ordinary intelligence, of sound judgment, and of fair character
- Possess sufficient knowledge of the English language
- Not currently serving as a trial juror
- Not discharged as a grand juror within one year
- Never convicted of malfeasance in office or any felony or other high crime
- Not currently serving as an elected public officer
Your name will be randomly selected from either the voter registration or DMV file. You are SUMMONED TO APPEAR for jury service at the Courthouse on the date and time printed on the front of your SUMMONS. Jury service is a civic duty imposed upon all citizens by statute (CCP § 204). The weekend before or the night before you are to appear, call (530)-289-2931 and listen to the recording. The recorded message will confirm the date, time and place of appearance or it will tell you if your service is cancelled. If your service is cancelled, you do not have to appear. The message stays on all night; call back if the line is busy.
The legislature sets the minimum amount to pay for jurors. Effective July 1, 2000 jurors are paid $15.00 per day starting with the second day of service (CCP §215). Your mileage will be calculated based on the ZIP Code of your physical address and you will be paid $.15 per mile, one way beginning on first day of service.
For more information on the Jury system, e.g. frequently asked questions, glossary of terms, trial process please visit the Jury Site: www.courtinfo.ca.gov/jury/